Catzavelos case postponed to August

Catzavelos case postponed to August

The case against businessman, Adam Catzavelos, has been postponed to August 29. Catzavelos was back in the dock of the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday morning – to answer for racial slurs he uttered while on holiday on a Greek island.

Last year Catzavelos, who was on holiday in Europe, shared a video of himself uttering racial slurs and using the k-word.

The video went viral and led to businesses boycotting the family business.

A crimen injuria charge was laid against Catzavelos by Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) Gauteng leader Mandisa Mashego.

Speaking outside the court, Mashego says they want racism to be criminalised.

“We still need to have a formal meeting with the prosecutor as the complainants just to get their official position, because the last time we spoke they were pre-empting that the defence would bring issues of jurisdiction, etc. But they had also confirmed that the Greek authorities have also mounted a criminal case against him – and the Equality Court. We will continue pushing in the hopes that at least on the August 29 a trial will begin, because we can’t keep on sustaining a never-ending postponement. We need him to go to trial because the more and more cases we have that give precedence, the more of a stronger case we will have to push our motion to have racism criminalised.”

And EFF Gauteng chairperson, Mandisa Mashego says they want to see Catzavelos prosecuted as soon as possible…

Click on the video below: 

 


Source: SABC
Search
Sponsored Form