Families of victims of GBV call for harsher
sentences

Families of victims of GBV call for harsher sentences

The families of three victims of Gender-Based Violence (GBV) in the Eastern Cape have called on the justice system to impose harsh prison sentences on the perpetrators.

This emerged during President Cyril Ramaphosa’s visit to the homes of  University of Cape Town (UCT) student, Uyinene Mrwetyana, SA boxing champion Leighandre Jegels, and 25-year-old Angelique Clarke-Abrahams in East London earlier on Friday.

“We hope that something will be done to deal with this and thank the president for visiting us here and we hope government will find a way of putting an end to this abuse of women,” says spokesperson for the Mrwetyana family, Vuyani Mrwetyana.

“Three hours later this man was released and we are asking ourselves why do you release a man who is abusing a woman,” says Angelique’s mother, Maria Clark.

Meanwhile, ANC Women’s League National Executive Member, Zoe Kota-Fredericks,  says the party in the Western Cape is declaring September as a month of mourning for victims of GBV.

She was speaking outside the Claremont Post Office where league members held a short prayer service for Mrwetyana.

“That is why we see the month of September as a month of reconnecting ourselves with our ancestors, we say women who can pray must pray for us in this month but we are also saying we must revisit whether in our families we are doing things right in terms of our customs.

Watch video below:

 

 

 

 

 


Source: SABC
Search
Sponsored Form