Despite being the one that announced the establishment of the commission of inquiry into state capture, former president Jacob Zuma has now suggested he’s concerned about the probe.
Former president Jacob Zuma. Picture: GCIS
JOHANNESBURG – As the state capture commission prepares to start its hearings, former president Jacob Zuma has told his supporters that he has a problem with the inquiry.
Zuma addressed a welcome home prayer session held in his honour in Nkandla on Thursday afternoon.
Last week Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo announced that the first hearings of the state capture probe will take place in August.
Despite being the one that announced the establishment of the commission of inquiry into state capture, Zuma has now suggested he’s concerned about the probe.
“There is a commission coming that will discuss state capture. And there are people that are opposing the movement. I have a problem with that as an individual.”
He has once again said the term state capture is problematic. He believed it is being used to tarnish people’s dignity.
He also made a veiled reference to the Guptas, saying when ministers talk to the controversial family it cannot automatically be linked to state capture.
‘I’M NOT SCARED’
As Zuma prepares to return to court next week, he’s told his supporters that he is not scared.
Zuma appeared in the Durban High Court in April on corruption charges stemming from the arms deal almost a decade ago. The case was postponed to 8 June.
Zuma says he goes back to court next week fearing nothing.
“I don’t fear when they say I have a case because I’ve never had a transgression.”
He says the only crime he committed was to fight for freedom under apartheid, which led to his arrest.
“I stayed in jail for 10 years, six months and I don’t have a problem with that.”
He has thanked his supporters, telling them not to view him as a criminal.
(Edited by Refilwe Thobega)